Better Statcounter

Friday, February 10, 2023

Fifty Books Challenge FAQ

 

imgur

Art by Simply Make Studio


So at the time of this writing, I'm about to celebrate the third anniversary of my bringing back the Fifty Books Challenge! I have a feeling that I'll be updating this post from time to time, so I'll time stamp it accordingly.

I've had a wonderful influx of readers and given the questions that seem to come up a lot, I think it's time I did a FAQ post, so here we are.

__________________________________________________________________________


What is the "Fifty Books Challenge"?

Many years ago, I ran across the Fifty Books Challenge, which is exactly as it says: challenging people to read at least fifty books a year. You don't have to review them or talk about them, just list them.

But since I've loved talking about the books I read literally since I learned to read, I decided to use the project as a platform to do just that. Then as now, I didn't count books I didn't finish, or books I'd read before.

But after a few years, the project fell off.

I honestly really missed it.

Some years after that, my lovely friend Claudine who always discussed books with me, suggested starting it back up and even making a special blog just for reviews. So in 2020, up the new 50 Books Project went! And it's been amazing ever since. I honestly never expected to have this many readers, especially for a style of blogging that's gone so far out of fashion. And most importantly of all, this is wonderfully fun for me.


Are you actually associated with "Book-It" officially?

Is there actually an official Book-It anymore? When I started the challenge, the idea of tallying books reminded me of (wait for it) filling out Book-It forms as as kid. With happy memories of doing something I'd do for fun anyway but with free pizza and acclaim, I titled my challenges accordingly. I have absolutely no affiliation with the official Book-It (if it actually does still exist, and I hope it does?) and the name is used humorously.



What is the point of this?

For me to talk about the books I read. A secondary point is I like to talk to other people about the books I read and books in general.



Why do you finish a book if you don't like it?

Well, for one, I don't review a book if I don't finish it. Books can have big twists and turns at the end and (most of the time) you have to keep reading to know for sure how the book turns out. Also, even if a book is terrible, there's something at least cathartic and satisfying about making a post airing my grievances.



Why do you go into social justice/political correctness/wokeness/politics? It's just a book.

First, let's never use the phrase "political correctness" again and leave it in 1993 where it belongs. Secondly, "woke" has been so racistly misappropriated, it's pretty gone too.

The answer is because books are a form of media and media shapes how we think, although not always in the ways we might think. I like to offer as best I can a nuanced perspective about this.

Also, this is my project and that's an aspect I want to discuss, and the primary point of this is my personal enjoyment.




Have you read this book?

Maybe! Take a look through the tags and see before you ask, though, please. I list by a variety of topics, including author name, making it hopefully very easy to see what I've reviewed.



Can I suggest a book?

Of course! But I might have already read it and I can't guarantee when and if I'm going to get to it. Also, please keep in mind that these are critical reviews, so if it's not my cup of tea, I'm going to talk about that fact.



Do you actually want authors to see your reviews of their work?

No, because that's not the purpose of this project.
While in recent years I've been surprised and flattered at how kind some authors have been on social media about my reviews of their work (which I'm assuming they did not actually read, they're referencing the fact I reviewed their work period; one author I did gush to her in a follow-up about her book which I genuinely adored and she was gracious and lovely), it's absolutely not my objective to have authors read what I wrote about their work.

I would assume any author running across this blog is mature enough to realize that, or if they do choose to read reviews of their work and thus decide to read mine, understand this is not a space for them, it's a space for me the reader and for other readers.

Critical thinking and critical fandom are good things, and this in particular is a blog with critical reviews. Please understand that before you read.



Do you think sometimes you're too mean?

Don't we all?

But seriously. The last thing I would want is for someone to show an author my review of their work, especially if it's critical. My reviews are about the books, not so much the authors themselves (although there are choices that authors make that I think can reflect on them, and social media/fan engagement is a whole other can of worms of criticism).

Above all, engage with the ideas, don't harass people!



I've got issues with the way you've reviewed a book!

I'm okay with polite, thoughtful discussion. What's not okay is abuse and trolling. Or spammers, for that matter.



Where can I contact you?

If you don't know me elsewhere, dropping a comment in a post is probably the best place.


Happy reading! Wipe your feet before you come in.

2 comments:

  1. Oh somehow I've only just found this! Love it. And I get a mention, eeee! Was Book-It the American name of the Pizza Hut thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always get a mention! 😊
      Book-It was indeed the Pizza Hut thing and I miss it so much. I just looked it up and whoops, it's still a Thing. Guess it's good that I made it clear I'm not officially with them? 😅

      Delete

Book-It '23! Book #26: "All About Me! My Remarkable Life in Show Business" by Mel Brooks

  THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING SOME SEASONAL EXTENSIONS ! ALSO PLEASE REMEMBER I HAVE A FAQ POST NOW! LOVE AND THANKS TO ALL MY READERS! The al...